Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New York City; America's Green City!

I've long grasped the notion that Boulder is one of the most hippie, green cities in the country. But, I guess I'm naive.

Popular Science recently compiled a list of "America's 50 Greenest Cities."... It wasn't the list I expected to see. Yes, Portland not surprisingly topped the list. But Boulder didn't even make the list, and Denver came in at #19, just one spot ahead of New York City. Yes, New York City made the list.

Other surprising cities that turned up on the list include Fort Worth, Texas and Tulsa, Oklahoma. The top 10 cities on the list include:
1.) Portland, Ore.
2.) San Fransisco, Calif.
3.) Boston, Mass.
4.) Oakland, Calif.
5.) Eugene, Oreg.
6.) Camridge, Mass.
7.) Berkeley, Calif.
8.) Seattle, Wash.
9.) Chicago, Ill.
10.) Austin, Tex.

And Boulder didn't make the list? !!! Well, it's all in the criteria Popular Science used for their list compilation. They looked at electricity, transportation, green living, and recycling. Also, because it is Popular Science magazine, eco-friendly technologies seemed to be highly considered.

For example, New York City is looking into hydropower as a source of energy. Which I guess makes them green. The polluted East River could actually be a source of sustainability! I still have a hard time grasping the fact that such an industrialized, dirty city could be considered green. Interesting fact though, the average New Yorker actually uses half the amount of electricity of the average San Fransiscan. Who woulda thunk?

I guess I have a lot to learn. A city of stillettos, cell phones, and skyscrapers is actually more green than a city of Chaco-wearing treehuggers. Or so some say....

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I'm surprised too. I guess if they had included something like air quality, I think this list would have looked a little differently. I never dreamed Oakland would be "green."